Points to remember:
1) Recognize that life is not about you. There is something much bigger than yourself that has created this marvelous world in which we live. Be humble and grateful for the gift of life.
2) Accept the sky as your limit, not the roof over your head. The sky represents where you can go in terms of personal growth: how much knowledge and happiness you can acquire in a lifetime; not the walls that confine you to a physical location. Be open to opportunities even when they seem out of reach.
3) Spend more time with people who are more awake than you are; less time with those who are falling asleep. People who are falling asleep may not be bad, but they don’t want to face the fact that this world is far more than it appears to be. This can distract us from our true purpose.
4) Be grateful for your problems, because they are growing you. It is easy to be happy when things are going well, but our character grows during the tough times. So relish the challenge of overcoming obstacles on your path towards personal growth.
5) You can always find something that you love, even in the darkest hour. When you feel that nothing in your life is going right, remember to look for something you can be grateful for. It’s not about being happy all the time, because life is full of ups and downs. But there are always silver linings hidden within clouds if you take enough time to look for them.
6) Don’t settle . You don’t have to accept mediocrity in your life. Life is short, and you deserve the very best. So if there is something that doesn’t bring out the best in you or something you truly love doing but never seem to finish, go back and complete it.
7) Stop measuring success with materialistic markers. They are short-lived and empty. True accomplishment is measured by how much you grow as a person, and the positive difference you make in the lives of others.
8) Give up your perfectionism. Perfection doesn’t exist anyway, so why bother holding yourself to such unattainable standards? It will only bring unhappiness and cause unnecessary stress – things nobody needs.
9) Stop depending on other people to make you happy. You are responsible for your happiness, so don’t leave it in the hands of fate or other people. Happiness is an inside job that starts by changing your thoughts and attitude about life. It will create a positive ripple effect in every area of your life.
Pros of self-development:
1) We all want to be successful and better people.
2) There is something much bigger than ourselves that created this marvelous world.
3) Spending time with people who are more awake than we are can help us grow.
4) Problems can help us grow as individuals.
5) We can always find something to be grateful for, even in the darkest hour.
6) We don’t have to accept mediocrity in our lives.
7) Materialistic markers of success are short-lived and empty.
8) Perfectionism does not exist and brings unnecessary stress.